To be fair I did promise my friend Gourmet Macaroni Cheese instructions. I was planning to get it here sooner but I've been busy demolishing needles and sleeping and things. Tonight I was subject to the pathetic cries of a girl intent on carb loading before she hits Stitches tomorrow. I guess I should keep her sweet, there could be yummy yarn in my future.
For the Sauce:
- I dollaped about 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan and melted it down.
- I threw in about the same amount again of flour. I didn't bother to seive as I would for a regular sauce as I was adding cheese so I was expecting lumps.
- You end up with a 'paste' that smells quite delicious (don't eat it, you'll have to start again and that's actually a lot of butter).
- Graaaaaaaaadually add milk, about a tablespoon at a time and keep it moving, waiting until the milk has completely disappeared into the paste before adding more. The paste gradually gives way to a thick, thick sauce and you keep going till you have a sauce that pours smoothly from your spoon but doesn't 'run'. I've tried to photograph this as I'm rubbish at quantities, I cook by instinct.
- Grate some delicious cheese and add about a cup and a half, stir it in till it melts.
|Making the floury paste|
|It's hard to 'grab' but hopefully this gives you an idea what you're aiming for|
I popped this in the oven for about 30-35 minutes as I like the top to be quite crunchy.