I love picnics and the warmer weather always has me looking for baked treats that I can throw in a tupperware in my bag, along with a blanket and head to the park for my lunch break. While I tend not to eat too much meat, I am partial to the occasional sausage roll and I love making them- super easy and delicious straight from the oven.
You will need:
1 tbsp butter
A shallot, finely diced
A healthy splash of Worcestershire sauce
A healthy splash of Tabasco sauce
Approx 4 sausages, split from skins or the equivalent amount of sausage meat
450g/1lb ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Remove puff pastry from fridge about 20mins before planned cooking time to warm slightly then roll this out first to allow it to 'sit' while you get everything else ready. I aim for about 1/2 cm thick but don't be too fussy, wobbly rolls are charming.
2. Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and grease a couple of trays.
3. Place butter in small pan and once melted, lightly saute shallots till they are soft and translucent.
4. Mix meat, sauces, seasoning and onion/ butter mix in a bowl (I use my hands, it's easier)
5. Using a knife, score the pastry lengthwise into thirds then place a lining of the mix down the centre of each. Brush both sides of pastry edge with the egg and roll over to create one huge tube.
6. Cut into bite size chucks and score 1-2 dashes along the top before popping on the trays and into the oven for 15-20 mins. I brush the tops with left over eggs sometimes.
7. Try to allow to cool- I love these best hot so get very impatient. I prefer these slightly overcooked to get the crispy meat overspills you can see in the pics.
You can also try mustard in the mix, apple, leeks, or mushrooms. Explore and enjoy. I'll try to put my veggie version up soon.Also, don't tell Mr Cameron that I'm endorsing heated pastry treats ;)
They look amazing. Next time we make sausages I am totally saving some meat mix for sausage rolls, mmmm, all warm and flaky from the oven
Post a Comment