Thursday 5 April 2012

Because I'm a woman....

... I have never supported the Conservative party.  They're policies just do not work for families, schools or care systems and therefore women.There was strong opposition to Margaret Thatcher who was famously dubbed more man than woman but our current government are much more viscious because they do it a smile and rhetoric that says they care about families and women. I've had the creeping feeling for some time that they have been implementing changes that directly effect the opportunities of women (and disadvantaged groups) and failing to see any coverage or questions being asked.

I've been told blogging and a podcast have no place to be talking politics. I disagree. I am a community member (in so many ways) and I am a woman and I read something that finally made me feel I wasn't alone in this: someone else, someone more visible than me, can see it too. I do not want to watch options for women disappear so I urge you to read this fantastic piece from The New Economic Foundation and think about how many women in your lives are changing their options to make up for the state deficit.

(Normal service will resume with a recipe for Easter. I just had to share a fantastic bit of writing when I saw it).

3 comments:

Rhian Drinkwater said...

I agree totally. I know what you mean about people being funny with politics, but this is such important stuff.

Unpaid carers – often women – save the government around £87 billion a year. Apparently that's not enough though, and people need to give more of themselves so that millionaires can have their tax cuts.

drMolly, the BeanQueen said...

I could not agree with you more - no matter what country one calls home!

Emily said...

I'm with you and your commenters, too. Hating what is happening.

And surely you can write about what you want on your blog?

(On a lighter note, I don't think you're old enough to remember the chant of 'Maggie Thatcher, milk snatcher!?)