Tuesday 29 November 2011

Middle Days

I was delighted a few weeks ago when Brenda Dayne did a peice on 'imaginary knitting'. The idea being that while you might be tied to finishing other peices, in your mind, you have an imaginary knitting bag with works in progress. I really related to this sentiment and I thought I'd share the contents of my imaginary knitting bag today. 


First up I have bright, beautiful socks. They're plain and I will learn how to do the perfect after thought heel and I will squeal with delight at their addictive stripes. This will mark the first of many striped socks, and I will begin to memorise my perfect vanilla socks. Socks I can travel with and cast on and finish at any point. I need never be without knitting again as long as I am armed with this. 


Idlewood by Cecily Glowik Macdonald
Then there is my sweater. I have wanted a sweater project for so long but gifts are always more obtrusive than I give them credit for. In my head I am knitting a beautiful garment, in warm yarn, that is the perfect fit. Part of my imaginary knitting was matching stash and I realised I had enough stash for a knitting crush I've had for a while. It will be mine. Just not yet. 

Then there is my true flight of fancy. I have been drooling over the sweater of awesome that is Beatnik, by Norah Gaughan. I have been noticing this a lot, I mean, I've been finding myself finding it on Ravelry in between rows. I dream up colours and I picture it's warmth now the weather has finally turned so cold. Most of all I think about how proud I would be as to be quite honest, this sweater is way beyond my skill set right now. I'll get there. It's my new year plan: more garment knitting. 

What's in your imaginary knitting bag?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been drooling over the Dahlia Cardigan since it came out MONTHS AGO in Interweave Knits. Definitely "imaginary knitting."

P'cess said...

I don't think that sweater is above your skill set... knitting is only a combo of two stitches... one at a time... you can do it! Also, when you do, PLEASE take a picture of yourself in the pose that the model is in... I love it!

buggyknits said...

Ooh, thanks for reminding me of two patterns I love. There's so many it's easy to forget a few! My imaginary knitting right now is the Crown Prince shawl. One day it will be mine.