Friday 6 December 2013

Tata Madiba

This morning I walked the Playful Baby through the places Nelson Mandela visited in Brixton and explained what a figure of hope he was both in his own country and across the world. There were many people there looking for a way to pay homage to one of the most influential people of our time. I explained that he stood for equality, for peace and against poverty. She clucked happily at the other people there and a woman stopped me to say how wonderful that I carried my child to a place of such importance. We talked about the legacy we leave behind and I said I hoped mine was a daughter who valued every person as an equal and strived to see the end to poverty and greed. His message lives on in more than just his generation. Rest in peace Tata.  

“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” — Nelson Mandela


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was a great man that did so much for our beloved country. He will be missed but his memory will live on in the hearts of so many.

I love that you too PB along with you. I so wanted to tell my LO that the world had lost a great man and what he meant to me, but I could not find the words. One day I will take to her to all the places back home and show her the many things I want to share with her about what Mandela did for our country.